Feel free to use the following outline in your local church. However, don’t just use it as a last minute substitute for your lack of preparation. Rather, study it and make the changes that God leads you to make for it to fit your local situation.
Receiving the Power of His Presence
Acts 2:1-12 (NIV)
What HAPPENED at Pentecost?
- What is PENTECOST?
The Jewish Feast of Pentecost was one of the three great annual religious festivals. It was a one-day celebration. It observed the completion of the harvest and was known as Pentecost because it came on the fiftieth day after the presentation of the harvest’s first fruits.
- Pentecost was birthed in an attitude of WORSHIP
Luke 24:50-53 (NIV)
- The events occurring in Acts 2 most likely occurred in the TEMPLE and not a particular home.
“House” was a Jewish term referring to the temple (I’ll meet you at the ‘house’ – the house of the Lord)
- Pentecost Was Accompanied by SYMBOLS of God’s Presence
Sound of WIND – pneuma or breath, representing the breath of God breathing new life into the disciples
Tongues of FIRE – symbols of unity and diversity, and of God’s presence
Other LANGUAGES – not the speaking in tongues referred to in Paul’s writings
What DIFFERENCE Does Pentecost Make in My Life?
- God wants to FILL you with His Presence
- God wants to EMPOWER you with His Presence
- God wants to SEND you on MISSION with His Presence
ACTION POINT: Why would you settle for anything LESS than God’s Presence in your life?